Friday, July 15, 2016

Found it! Better late than never!





Now that's what I'm talkin about! These are MOUNTAINS! Grand Teton! Beautiful! Couldn't get enough of them today. Drove all over the park snapping pics.
The only problem with the National Parks is (and this is true in California State Parks as well), dogs aren't allowed on any of the trails! I know there is probably a very good reason, but it's a big disappointment. We'll be visiting several parks on this trip but I guess the dogs will only see it from inside the jeep! Poor babies. We'll make it up to them. Fortunately they are allowed in the campgrounds.
On a brighter note, we did find a cheaper campground, in the park. There's one north of Jackson called Colter Bay on Lake Jackson. It's first come, first served, but we were assured that if we are there by noon, there will be sites. It's also no hookups, so we will be boondocking, but for a night or two that shouldn't be a problem.Generators are allowed during the day so we can make coffee :-)

History lesson for the day...this is Jackson Hole...the valley on the east side of the Teton Range. Fur trappers called a mountain-ringed valley a "hole". Named for trapper David E. Jackson. Originally known as "Davey Jackson's Hole."



This scene is from the top of 7,727 ft Signal Mountain in the park. It overlooks the 'hole' with fantastic view that these pics don't do justice for. No we didn't hike up.

The view from Jackson Lake Dam

Although we looked, we never saw any bears or moose. But clearly there are bears here! Still looking for the elusive (live) moose.


These are for you, Donna Ellert...until we see the real thing!


I understand that these little cabins are available all year round here. They certainly are cute, but for $300-400 a night, cute doesn't get it for me. There are 21 of these in this resort.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I just found the place to post a comment... under "no comments"! I hope you get it, cause I'm not sure, at all, what I'm doing. Glad to hear your alternator was not a problem after all the worry.
    I did start reading your posts when you first got started, but then I got captured by the genealogy bug and Lita's family history, cause I found out that one of her ancestors was the 3rd Superintendent of Public Schools of California, which I doubt she even knows, yet. Plus there were a lot of interesting events and people in that family. I'm excited to show her what I found. I found a new (to me) digital newspaper site which was a big help. It's free, too, but only has California newspapers. I'm hoping to find some like that for other states for our out of state families.
    I get back to you again soon (now that I kinds know what I'm doing here.) Kathie

    ReplyDelete